SpanishGP: Fabio Quartararo claims back to back poles in Jerez
Fabio Quartararo continued where he left off in Free Practice 3 by taking the first MotoGP pole position of the season, his second at Jerez.
The Frenchman’s 1:36.705 was enough to take his second pole position in a row in what was a frantic 15-minute qualifying session under the blistering Spanish sun.
Quartararo ended the session at the front of a Yamaha one-two with Maverick Viñales +0.139s down off the 21-year-old. Marc Marquez will line-up third. Francesco Bagnaia had a stunning Qualifying session, placing his Pramac Ducati at the front of the second row, with late crasher Jack Miller in 5th ahead of LCR Honda CASTROL rider, Cal Crutchlow.
The first of the two Q1 riders ended Q2 in 7th, Pol Espargaro will line up ahead of Andrea Dovizioso, who tipped off his Ducati at turn two. Alex Rins completed the third row, however, suffered a heavy fall at turn 11 in the closing stages of the session.
The Spaniard got up to his feet but was seen holding his collarbone, potentially seriously damaging his 2020 title hopes.Franco Morbidelli and Valentino Rossi were locked together once again, as just as they have been all weekend, were overshadowed by their team-mates.Morbidelli will line up 10th ahead of Valentino Rossi who ended the session +1.036s down on the PETRONAS’ quickest time.
Joan Mir completed the top 12.
Brad Binder once again impressed in the Spanish heat, he’ll make his MotoGP debut from 13th on the grid ahead of Mugello winner Danilo Petrucci and Takaaki Nakagami.
Aleix Espargaro could only manage 16th with Oliveira separating the two Aprilia’s.Tito Rabat will start 19th ahead of team-mate Johann Zarco with Alex Marquez and Iker Lecuona completing the grid.
The MotoGP race kicks off tomorrow at 14:00 local time with many riders looking fairly even on race pace.
Marquez seems to have the edge, but can the two Yamaha’s disrupt the champions’ rhythm early on from the first two positions?
MotoGP Qualifying Results – Jerez
- Fabio Qartararo (PETRONAS Yamaha Sepang Racing Team) 1:36.705
- Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) +0.139
- Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) +0.157
- Francesco Bagnaia (Pramac Racing) +0.250
- Jack Miller (Pramac Racing) +0.748
- Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda CASTROL) +0.749
- Pol Espargaro (Red Bull Factory KTM) +0.788
- Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team) +0.830
- Alex Rins (Team Suzuki ECSTAR) +0.931
- Franco Morbidelli (PETRONAS Yamaha Sepang Racing Team) +0.969
- Valentino Rossi (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) +1.036
- Joan Mir (Team Suzuki ECSTAR) +1.079
Featured Image: MotoGP.com