Short Shift News’ Big Bike Chat: Arenas, Bastianini and Mir Crowned World Champions
It’s been another busy few weeks of motorcycle racing news, Joan Mir has been crowned World Champion, Andrea Iannone’s ban was extended to four years and BSB silly season keeps on getting sillier. Here’s all the news you need to know.
- Andrea Iannone has lost his appeal in his doping case after ‘insufficient’ evidence. The former Grand Prix winner will face a four-year ban from any FIM activities, effectively ending his career.
- Cal Crutchlow has announced that he will quit MotoGP racing in 2021. The British rider is set to return to Yamaha to replace Jorge Lorenzo as their official test rider. Valentino Rossi has openly come out explaining that “Yamaha need a serious programme with MotoGP test team.”
- Suzuki and Joan Mir have claimed their first premier class title together. In a season of consistency, Mir crossed the line in eighth place, sealing the title by four points. The championship win was also Suzuki’s first since Kenny Roberts Jr in 2000.
- PETRONAS Yamaha SRT has for the second time in a row won the independent title.
- Both Maverick Viñales and Fabio Quartararo hope Yamaha will allow them to use the 2019 YZR-M1 in 2020. The soon-to-be factory Yamaha duo is baffled by the lack of consistency from one track to another with their 2020 machines.
- Chaz Davies has appeared as Aprilia’s favourite for the vacant 2021 seat. The Welshman has ended a seven-year stint with Ducati in World Superbikes and is currently looking for a ride. Davies is no stranger to MotoGP after putting in an appearance with Pramac Racing in 2007.
- MotoGP enjoyed a potential one-off visit to Portimao which saw homeboy Miguel Oliviera take the victory.
- We say goodbye to Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso who raced their final Grand Prix’s as a full-time rider.
- Enea Bastianini took the Moto2 World Championship ahead of Luca Marini and a heroic Sam Lowes, who braved a broken wrist to finish third on Sunday.
- Remy Gardner took his first Moto2 victory in Portimão, beating Luca Marini in the final few laps.
- Raul Fernandez will step up to Moto2 next season, joining Gardner at the Red Bull KTM AJO team.
- Albert Arenas overcome an edge-of-the-seat battle in Moto3 to be crowned the 2020 Moto3 World Champion ahead of Tony Arbolino and Ai Ogura – who found themselves joint on points.
- The final win of the season went to Fernandez, who dominated to his second Moto3 win of the year.
- Jonathan Rea has ended a two-day test at Jerez on top of the timesheets after debuting a 2020/2021 hybrid ZX-10RR. The Irishman beat Stefan Bradl who was on MotoGP testing duties for the HRC MotoGP team.
- Garrett Gerloff and Toprak Razgatlioglu are both impressed with the 2021 YZF-R1 which they will run in the PATA Yamaha and GRT Yamaha World Superbike teams.
- Rookies Andrea Locatelli (PATA YAMAHA WorldSBK Official Team), Isaac Viñales (ORELAC Racing VerdNatura), Lucas Mahias (Kawasaki Puccetti Racing) and Kohta Nozane (GRT Yamaha WorldSBK Junior Team) all got their first taste of World Superbike action in Jerez – and all impressed.
- McAMS Yamaha announced their 2021 line-up, sticking with Tarran Mackenzie and Jason O’Halloran.
- Kyle Ryde has signed for the Rich Energy OMG Racing BMW team for 2021, riding the all-new M 1000 RR – we caught up with him, which you can view here.
- Danny Buchan and Andrew Irwin will form a new-look Synetiq BMW team for 2021.
- BSB sees Smith Racing depart the series and will be replaced by Faye Hoe’s FHO Racing team, running Peter Hickman and Xavi Fores in Superbike and Alex Olsen in Superstock.
Looking to update your website?
ThisWebDesign works with small and medium-sized companies from all over the globe. Our focus is on offering visually engaging websites, social media profiles that convert, and branding that creates a powerful and lasting image.
Mar. 30, 2023
BSB: Mar-Train Yamaha Racing ‘All Systems Go’ for 2023 Bennetts British Superbike Championship Campaign.
Mar. 26, 2023
MotoGP: Francesco Bagnaia Does the Double and Wins the Portuguese Grand Prix
Mar. 26, 2023
Moto3: Daniel Holgado Wins the Opening Round of the Moto3 Championship.
Mar. 15, 2023
BSB: Mar-Train Yamaha Racing Takes Positives from Pre-season Testing in Spain.
Mar. 05, 2023
WSBK: Alvaro Bautista Wins Race Two in Indonesia as Jonathan Rea Crashed Out
Mar. 05, 2023
WSBK: Toprak Razgatlioglu Wins the Superpole Race.
Mar. 04, 2023
WSBK: Strong Comeback in Mandalika for Aegerter on his 300th Career Start.
Mar. 04, 2023